Leadership Formation Retreat
The Leadership Formation Program on Catholic Identity was held at Robertson Garden” Brisbane from October 15-17. Thus began our fifth round of Retreats since we began in 2008 and at this gathering there were 10 new attendees.
We approached the topic this time via a different process. Our first retreat was a speaker from Catholic Health Australia, the second time Bishop Michael Putney (RIP) Townsville spoke on the topic from his perspective. The following two sessions were led by Mr Garry Everett, currently Acting Chair of Mercy Partners Council. This time the topic was delivered via a Theological Reflection Process, led by Dr Elaine Wainwright rsm and Dr Jan Gray rsm. This process combines both input and process allowing the participants to bring to the process both their own experience and current issues.
At the end of the second day we celebrated Eucharist led by Fr Dan Ryan, Parish Priest of Sunnybank. The focus for this celebration was “The Pearl of Great Price”. Our conference dinner followed which as usual was another opportunity to engage over a meal.
On the Friday morning five attendees completed Level 1 of the program by the presentation of a project. The topics for these were as follows:
- SOM Parra celebrating 125 years & Mercy Futures
- Celebration of 125 years: Celebrating 125 women and men of Mercy
- Walk of Faith
- Our Lady of Mercy
- Is Charism relevant to Corporate Leadership?
Once again these were both scholarly and very relevant and the presenters received their certificates.
Some feedback snippets, included:
- "Process mirrored the dynamic, organic, evolving essence of Catholicity"
- "Many ‘bests’ but to isolate one – I think the ‘Community’ gathered was a palpable experience of community and very refreshing to be engaged with for the two days"
- "Being led through a process for scripture being re-invented for a contemporary setting"